Monday, October 29, 2012

Chevron Cake

October 2012

I had to make a final cake for my fondant/gumpaste class. The only requirement was that it had to be covered in fondant and have some sort of gumpaste or fondant decoration. I decided I wanted to use the colors red and turquoise because I just got a new bottle of Americolor turquoise and I am in love with it. I also wanted to use some gumpaste carnations on top because I like how they are so puffy like little pom poms. I wanted to do something a little challenging because this cake was just for me, not a customer, so there was no pressure. I settled on a zig-zag pattern that I have never tried before. I have been wanting to make some chevron cookies for a little while now, so this was the perfect opportunity to try something new.
There are two ways (that I know of) to apply the pattern to the cake. First is to cut the zig-zag pattern in one, long continuous pattern and apply all the way around. The second is to cut it into sections and apply to the sides. I opted for the second because it seemed more challenging to me. And I was right. It was challenging. It involved a little more math than I originally anticipated. However, once all the measuring and figuring was finished, and the cutting complete, I had these nice, satisfying, colorful  little fondant squares all ready to accompany me to class and jump onto my cake!
 It turns out it was a little more time consuming than I anticipated as well so I ran an HOUR late applying these to the sides and ended up taking my cake home with no border! Not to worry though, I completed the project at home and had a beautiful cake to show for my hard work.
Close up of the gumpaste carnations. They have such delicate ruffles. I hope I get to make these again soon.

The finished cake. Yuck, look at that awful cake board! No, don't look at it, look at those beautiful colors! ;)

Close up of the pieced design. Even after all of my math, the ends did not match up perfectly so this cake had a definite "back." Of course, there is no picture of THAT! ;)

My robotics students LOVE meeting up the day after my cake classes. They devoured this cake in minutes! 

I had so much fun making this cake and learned a lot from the experience. I hope I can use this design again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...